Answer: Yes, you can find a local notary who will make a color copy of your passport (page with your photo and information) and have the color copy signed and notarized. We recommend that you find a notary who has at least five years of experience and follows the notarial law of his state. Please note that if you meet with a notary in one of the states, the notarized copy must be apostilled by the state office (example: California Secretary of State). A government-issued document with an apostille does not require additional legalization by the U.S. Department of State or legalization by a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad to be recognized in a participating country. The U.S. State Department will not issue apostilles for government-issued documents. 4. Make a photocopy of the original for recording the message; If you are located in the United States and prefer to meet with a local notary rather than send your original passport to our Washington DC office, we recommend finding a notary who has at least five years of experience and follows the notarial laws of their state. Some states require that a notarized document also be certified by the county clerk.

These states include: Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, and Tennessee. Supporting documents: Carry the originals of all supporting documents to be presented to the consular officer (photocopies must be attached to the application). If you are unable to present the original documents at the counter, bring a notarized copy of the documents attached to the application. Make sure the notarized copy is legible, otherwise the consulate may require to see the original. However, the passport and the document (to be notarized) must be presented in the original. 3. Application documents must be notarized and notarized by the local State Department before being sent to the Embassy for legalization. Before sending your documents to TDS for our document legalization services, please ensure that they: Question: Can I meet with a local notary and have my passport notarized? Legalization is a document authentication process observed by international governments. If you intend to use a U.S.

public document in a foreign country, local authorities require it to be legalized before it can be considered valid. Each country has its own legalization requirements, which are determined by the type of document to be legalized and its intended use. 1. The document legalization application (download PDF) or cover letter indicates what you need to do for your documents; Typical documents that may require legalization and/or authentication services are: Please attach a complete copy of all documents to be authenticated. Embassies require a copy with the original documents. If no copies are sent, TDS will make copies on your behalf, a copy fee of $3 per document will be added to your invoice. For most countries, it is enough for the page with your image and information to be signed and notarized. Some countries may require you to recolor the full copy of the passport and only have the page with your photo and information signed and notarized. Be sure to check with the candidate country to avoid delays or additional costs.

To apostille your U.S. passport, you must send the original notarized color copy to our office for processing. You also have the option to send the original passport to our Apostille office in Washington DC. If you are outside the United States, please do not send your original passport. We recommend that you contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate to schedule a meeting with a U.S. federal notary. After notarization, you can send the notarized color copy to our Washington DC office for processing.

Q: Can I send you the original U.S. passport? Fee: A non-refundable fee of $10.00 (ten only) and $2.00 (only two) to the Indian Community Welfare Fund (ICWF) per application. For subsequent documents, US$ 10.00 (only ten) must be paid by the applicant. If you wish to receive certified documents by mail, send a traceable prepaid return envelope (USPS “Express Mail” or UPS, etc.). (No Fedex) Note: For a copy of Indian passport certificate, a non-refundable fee of $10 (ten) + $2 Indian Community Welfare Fee (ICWF). Delivery of documents (pick-up times): 16:00 to 16:45 (Monday to Friday). Note: All certifications must include a legible signature of the employee`s name, title and seal. If you have any questions, please contact one of our customer service representatives at 800-874-5100 or the contact form Consular fees vary by document type and country. Please ask for a quote.

Documents issued by the government for use in countries that are not members of the 1961 Hague Convention may be certified by a certificate of residence issued by the U.S. Department of State. For more information, see Authentication Certificate Requirements. To inquire about the status of your documents, please call the Legalization Office at 202-485-8000 Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. For further information: Tel: (202) 436-6889; (202) 861-0737 ext.

122 or (202) 615-4141 Alex Thomas TRAVEL DOCUMENT SYSTEMS, INC. 1625 K Street N.W. Suite 750 Washington, D.C. 20006 202-638-3800 The Office of Authentication provides individuals, institutions and government agencies with signed certificates of authenticity for a variety of documents that can be used abroad. The country in which the document is used determines the type of certificate required. The documents must be legalized in order to be able to use them in Vietnam. Applications must include: A: Yes, you can send the original U.S. passport to our Washington, DC office for processing. Be sure to download our purchase orders for the apostille in Washington D.C. Phone: 202-485-8000 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., closed Monday to Friday For more information, see Authentication Certification Requirements and Authentication Services and Fee Requests. TDS works with the Secretary of State, the U.S.

Department of State, and most foreign embassies and consulates to obtain the right legal seal for your international documents. CERTIFICATION OF DOCUMENTS SUCH AS PAN FORM, BANK STATEMENT, PAY SLIP, COPY OF INDIAN PASSPORT, COPY OF A DOCUMENT ISSUED BY US AUTHORITIES (US PASSPORT, DRIVER`S LICENSE, ETC.) This fee applies to documents that require authentication by the U.S. Department of State. 6. Return: A stamped envelope addressed. You must use one of the following direct mail services that provide tracking numbers: Federal Express (FedEx) or USPS Express Mail. If you use FedEx, make sure your name, address, FedEx account, and phone number are included in the Sender and Recipient fields. Please include a traceable, stamped and self-addressed return envelope (USPS `Express Mail` or UPS, etc.) (No Fedex) for sending processed documents. Fees must be paid by money order or bank check in favour of the “Consulate General of India, San Francisco”.

THE CONSULATE DOES NOT ACCEPT BLANK CHEQUES AND MONEY ORDERS. Cash, personal cheques, credit cards, debit cards or other banking instruments are not accepted. Legal documents intended for use in a country that is not a party to the Hague Convention require full legalization, also known as chain authentication or consular authentication, notarization, Secretary of State authentication, U.S. Department of State authentication, and then legalization of an embassy or consulate. Documents issued by the federal government for use in countries that are members of the 1961 Hague Convention may need to be certified by an apostille issued by the U.S. Department of State. Documents signed by the following officials require an apostille issued by the United States. Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Before submitting documents that require authentication, you must meet the following requirements: Our mission: The Legalization Office issues both apostilles (for documents used in participating Hague countries) and attestation certificates (for documents used in non-participating Hague countries). If you need to authenticate U.S. Department of State documents, please contact the Bureau of Vital Records. Requirements for state and local documents include: The U.S.

Department of State charges a fee of $20 per document. Requirements also vary depending on the type of document submitted. Select the document type below to learn more. Note: We do not accept FedEx returns. All express air waybill labels sent to the Notarization Office for the use of return documents must include the customer`s mailing address as sender and recipient. For more information about apostille requirements, see Apostille Requirements. Authentication certificates are issued by the U.S. Department of State for the same purpose as apostilles, but for use in countries that are not members of the 1961 Hague Convention.

• Regular processing takes 5-7 business days. Submit a request: Request authentication services by completing Form DS-4194. Be sure to indicate the country of use of the document in section 4 of Form DS-4194. FedEx will send all documents and your completed purchase order to: • Emergency service requires 2-3 business days after receipt of documents Fee: A non-refundable fee of $10.00 (ten only) and $2.00 (only two) to the Indian Community Welfare Fund (ICWF) per application. For subsequent documents, US$ 10.00 (only ten) must be paid by the applicant. Physical address: Authentication Office 600 19th St.