Overseas, we can only certify Australian or overseas public documents intended for use in Australia that have already been certified by the local Department of Foreign Affairs or other authorised authority. Submit original documents issued by a state, territory or federal court. Click here for information on electronic documents if your original court document is electronic. Please ensure that the notarial services documents you require from the Australian Embassy are presented in the correct form and that you provide the correct instructions for the notary service you are requesting. If you are unsure of the legal requirements for the notary service you want, you should seek independent legal advice. Please note that neither the Australian Government nor the Embassy of Saudi Arabia guarantee the legal validity of the notarized document or the accuracy of its contents. Notary fees are non-refundable. Laminated or damaged documents cannot be accepted for certification or apostille. Applicants may need to obtain a replacement from the issuing authority. Please visit smartraveller (smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/overseas.html) or contact the embassy for more information. You must contact your university to verify that your degree is a “true and accurate record” before we can legalize it. This could be available through an online portal.

Visit smartraveller for more information on checking academic papers. After verification, we can accept your documents. This includes photocopies of academic documents notarized by an Australian notary. The certification or apostille will be affixed directly to your diploma or transcript. DFAT staff are not allowed to provide legal advice or prepare legal documents. Nor can they guarantee the legal validity of the documents they testify. Check with your legal advisor if you have any doubts. What documents does the Embassy issue with an apostille or authentication certificate? The Embassy issues original Australian public documents with legalization or apostille. Australian public deeds are issued by: Please take the time to read the table below. It describes the documents we can accept and any additional steps you may need to take. The Embassy only accepts original documents.

The Embassy does not accept laminated, framed and damaged documents. You will need to arrange a replacement document. For more information about marriage abroad, see smartraveller.gov.au/guide/all-travellers/birth-death-marriage/Pages/getting-married-overseas.aspx If the type of document you need to legalize is not listed above, please visit smartraveller.gov.au for more information. Some foreign authorities require Australia to issue your document with an apostille or certificate of authentication. This is called “legalization services.” The Embassy offers a limited range of notarial services and fees for this service. These services apply to Australian documents or foreign documents intended for use in Australia. The Embassy does not act as a notary or JP. Information on the different types of notarial services offered by DFAT can be found on smartraveller (smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/overseas.html). Only Australian or overseas documents intended for use in Australia can be certified by DFAT. Submit the original document issued by the Australian Federal Police or a state or territorial police service.

Practical information for Australians or residents returning or returning from Australia. Legalization describes the process by which the embassy verifies the signature, seal or stamp on an original Australian public document. If the Embassy confirms that the signature and/or seal on your document matches our records, we will issue the apostille or certificate of authentication. An information portal on Australian benefits, payments and services In order for your photo to be confirmed/certified, you must present yourself at the Embassy in person and present your photo along with a valid government-issued photo ID (preferably your passport). Please note that the only wording we can use to support the photo is “This is a true resemblance of (your full name)”. The person making the affidavit must take an oath (an affidavit based on religious beliefs) or make a statement (a secular affidavit) that the contents of the affidavit are true and accurate. It is usually a criminal offense to swear or confirm false information. The document must be prepared before your appointment. It is your responsibility to present the document you will witness in the correct form and to give the correct instructions for the testimony.